|Mix in the Jar|
Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup of spaghetti, broken into small pieces (or vermicelli)
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 6 tablespoons instant chicken or beef bouillon powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme ( I leave this out of the beef version)
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
To use, place 1 cup mix, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 2 cups of water into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
*Lynn suggested heating the rice mix with the butter until the butter is melted and the rice and pasta are just slightly browned before I add the water.
Puttin' by allows us to buy when things are on sale and eat well every night (too well as my waist shows) regardless of the economy this week. Now if only I could find a way to get more economical gas for my car!
You can find Lynn's original post plus many more great recipes at http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2008/11/homemade-rice-a-roni-mix.html